WHAT DOES THE SSAFA CENTRAL SERVICE COMMITTEE DO?
THE BRITISH FORCES CYPRUS SSAFA CENTRAL COMMITTEE MEETS TO BRING TOGETHER THE LOCAL SSAFA SERVICE COMMITTEES. THE COMMITTEE INCORPORATES FOUR SERVICE COMMITTEES: EPISKOPI AKROTIRI, DHEKELIA AND AYIOS NIKOLAOS AND ALL ARE ESTABLISHED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE SSAFA ROYAL CHARTER.
- facilitates the sharing of best practice and supports governance of Service Committees
- raises awareness of SSAFA and fosters close links with welfare agencies in BFC,
SSAFA Cyprus Branch and other military charities.
- addresses local volunteering issues and identifies any training needs
- coordinates SSAFA fundraising during the annual SSAFA COs May March and Big Brew Up, held in
- coordinates spending activities across BFC and distributes Central funds
HOW DOES THE CENTRAL COMMITTEE SPEND MONEY RAISED?
In the past 12 months the British Forces Cyprus community has helped us raise over €20,000. The Committee meets twice a year to consider applications for financial support from community welfare groups.
Projects supported in the past year include:
- Seating and parasols for single living accommodation outdoor recreational areas
- Wi-Fi installation in single living accommodation
- Entertainment equipment for duty personnel at Salt Lake Site
- Furnishing for the Cyprus Reception Centre at RAF Akrotiri which is the first stop of
decompression for all troops returning to the UK from operational tours
- The purchase of digital TVs for Troodos Station for use by duty personnel and those
staying in welfare cabins
- The military pilgrimage to Lourdes
- Equipment and soft furnishing for libraries
- Books and other equipment for crèches
- A soft play area at Akrotiri Air Terminal
- Kitchen equipment for the Dhekelia Health Zone
- Refurbishment of camping area used by Scouts and other clubs
- Outdoor seating areas at youth centre
HOW CAN I ACCESS CENTRAL COMMITTEE FUNDS?
By completing an application form. We consider bids twice a year at our regular meetings but will consider bids at other times where there is an urgent welfare need. Any welfare organisation is able to apply for funds.
HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED?
- Become a SSAFA Service Community Volunteer. A SSAFA Community Volunteer or a Victim Support Volunteer
- Get involved with fund raising, publicity and the work of a SSAFA Service Committee. Get in touch with the Central Comittee Chair.
- Organise a community fundraising event to raise money for SSAFA Cyprus. To find out more, Please contact your local Service Committee. SSAFA Central Office UK can also help with planning an event. Contact Jessica Dawkins: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Join Team SSAFA. Take part in an organised sporting challenge i.e. The London Marathon, SSAFA Ride of Britain, SSAFA Big Jump. It is possible to request that money raised by you be transferred from SSAFA Central Office UK, to Cyprus. Find out more: SSAFA Fundraising Website
THANK YOU FOR YOUR ONGOING SUPPORT OF SSAFA IN CYPRUS.